Welcome to week 2 and congratulations for making it through week 1!!! I hope you are feeling energized and pumped to work just a little bit harder this week. If you haven’t hit the 10 000 steps per day mark yet that’s perfectly fine, there are plenty of people gearing towards the same goal.
How to Join the Challenge
- Measure your daily steps, using a fitness tracker, a smartwatch or your smartphone.
- Join the challenge on the Tiger Athletic Challenge Group. We’ll be posting lots of helpful info and tips, answering all your questions and connecting you to other members of the community who are joining you for the challenge.
- Post your progress to the group. Keep the rest of the community updated with your daily walking by posting screenshots of your step-counting app or photos of your fitness tracker or what you saw on your daily walk. Maybe you walked through the park at lunch or took a hike over the weekend. We want to see it!
Keep posting your daily tally on the Tiger Athletic Challenge Group and get encouraged by what other people are doing. Now that you have established a baseline and know how much you walk in a day, here are a couple of fun and creative ways to get you moving more.
- Pace around your home while you brush your teeth.
- Walk around the kitchen while coffee brews or the microwave is on.
- Park the car at the other end of the parking lot from work or the store.
- If there are two bathrooms at work or wherever you happen to spend the majority of your day, use the one that’s farther away or even one on a different floor so you have to take the stairs.
- Take a walk on your lunch break, between meetings or errands.
- If you have a phone call or meeting, take a walk while you do it.
- Take your pet for a long walk or walk a friend’s dog.
- If the shop is close enough, walk there!
- Take your afternoon coffee break walking distance from your office.
- Play tag or some other game that involves a lot of movement.
- If possible take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Carry shopping bags from your car to the house one at a time.
- Pace the room while the commercials are on.
- Take the long way to the printer or water fountain.
- Pick up litter around your office or neighborhood.
- Pace when you’re waiting for an appointment.
- Instead of sending an email, walk over to your co-worker’s desk.
- Skip the drive-thru and dance around the kitchen while you cook.
- Clean your home.
- Do some work around the yard like mow the lawn or rake leaves.
- Take an extra lap around the supermarket.
Seems silly but every step adds up, you’ll be surprised how quickly you can reach 10 000 steps. Basically, if you can walk somewhere, you should walk somewhere!
Tiger Athletic Fitness & Conditioning is a private, appointment only gym in the heart of Sandton. We use an individualized approach to assess, motivate, coach and educate you regards your fitness and health needs.
Don’t let me tell you about it, fill in the form below and get a complimentary workout with us, on us!